Skip to content

What are the different types of university degrees?

When you go to university, it’s essential to be aware of the type of degree or qualification you’re registering for.

The program you select determines the degree you earn at graduation. There are courses that come with different awards, based on the length of time you wish to spend studying and the amount of credits you are awarded.

However, how do you differentiate the LLBs from HNDs? What do the terms “levels” and “credits” mean? Which degree is best for you? What are the different kinds in university degree?

Study at the undergraduate level

Bachelor’s degree – Level 6

A Bachelor’s or Honours diploma is probably the most popular kind that undergraduate students earn. This is what employers usually mean when they’re seeking an undergraduate or a ‘first degree’ on an employment advertisement.

You’ll know that you’re getting the Bachelor’s degree when you’re able to see titles like Bachelor of Arts – BA (Hons), Bachelor of Science – BSc (Hons), Bachelor of Engineering – BEng (Hons) and Bachelor of Laws – LLB (Hons).

The (Hons) part refers to Honours. This usually means that you are studying for 3 years or 4 years in the case of a course with a sandwich-placement year. You complete 360 credits, with dissertations or major projects during your final year.

The entry requirements differ based on the particular course, but typically, you must have the relevant A-levels, or equivalent qualifications, or substantial previous experience in the field you’d like to study.

Graduate Certificate (GradCert) – Level 6

A GradCert is at the same degree as a Bachelor’s degree however, it is less in its scope, and therefore will take less time to finish.

They are usually offered in particular areas that are related to work for example, counseling, management, psychology or law. A GradCert will help you build abilities and skills in one subject to help you prepare for your job.

A GradCert generally takes one calendar year for completion, if you work part-time.

Integrated Master’s degree – Level 7.

If you’re keen to become an expert in your field and you know that you’d like to take your studies to the next level An Integrated Master’s degree will help you reach your goals.

It takes four months to earn, and five with an additional year of placement which combine an undergraduate degree with an additional postgraduate year. You are awarded an MSc degree which includes MSc MEng, MMath, or MMath.

Top-up degree – Level 6

If you hold an entry-level 5 qualification like an HND or a foundation degree or a successful completion of two years of university study, you may be able to take a higher degree course to further develop your previous studies and earn the full honours diploma (level 6.).

Higher-level degrees are less specialized and usually completed in only one year, but they could be anywhere between 1 and 2 years , depending on the point at which you started in your studies and whether it’s full-time or part-time.

Certain of our top-up degrees (those related to business communications) are designed for those whose primary second language isn’t English.

If you are a person with an unsatisfactory qualification, but have extensive experience in the relevant field, we might consider it to be a possible top-up degree.

Foundation degree – Level 5

If you’re currently employed and are looking to increase your abilities to be able to assume more demanding tasks, a Foundation degree (also known as FdA is a fantastic option to earn while learning. Foundation degrees were designed to connect universities and colleges and to help more students who are working in vocational fields to higher education.

FDAs are Level 5 which means they are just below the Bachelor’s degree however, after you’ve earned an FdA you’ll be able top-up to an Honours degree by completing additional studies when you’re prepared.

The entry requirements differ based on the topic. You may require qualifications like A-levels or work experience. Admissions are usually evaluated by an assessment on an individual basis to ensure that you have the background knowledge and the skills required to finish the course.

Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND) Level 4 and 5

The HNC or HND could provide you with the knowledge and the skills needed to be successful in your present or future career. The higher National Certificate or Diploma is the ideal choice if you wish to jump straight into your career of dreams or kick-start your further studies through a degree course halfway through.

HNCs typically take one year to complete they are the initial year of of Honours degrees. HNDs are completed in two years to complete and can be considered to equal the initial two Years of study for an Honours Degree.

For a fake degree certificate, head on over to this website.

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) 5 and 5

An HE Cert also known as DipHE is a separate certificate that’s typically awarded when you’re not ready to take on an entire degree. You can earn the CertHE for one year of full-time studies, worth 120 credits. You can also earn an HE DipHE for two years of full-time study worth around 240 credits.

An HE Certificate or DipHE may be beneficial for finding a job, based on the job, since they’re equivalent to other certifications. For instance an DipHE in Management and Management is similar to the NVQ 4-Diploma in Management and Administration.

You could take advantage of an CertHE or DipHE as a way to get towards a degree and you may be able skip one or two months of your degree. It is still necessary to be sure that you’re able to meet the entry requirements for the program you’re interested in. You should also determine if your previous courses are transferable.

Certificate of Education (CertEd) – Level 4

If you’re looking to make an education career for further or professional education, you require an ACEd. It will allow you to apply for teaching jobs in schools, sixth-forms as well as private training companies as well as public service and organizations that are voluntary. It is also possible to upgrade your degree to an BA (Hons) in Education and Training degree with further studies.

You require a 3rd grade qualification in your field, like A-Levels, to be able to go on the CertEd course. It usually takes 1 year of full-time education or 2 years of part-time study with one of our colleges.

Postgraduate study

A majority of the time should you be looking to expand your undergraduate education up to postgraduate you’ll find details on Master’s degrees taught by teachers as well as PhDs. However, there are plenty of different postgraduate options that can meet your schedule and goals.

These are the various types of Postgraduate degrees taught award, qualifications, and certificates. The research degrees section of our website explains the various kinds of research degrees that you can take advantage of with us.

Master’s degree – Level 7

Master’s degrees are the most sought-after postgraduate degree. Master’s degrees are accompanied by names like Master of Arts (MA), Master of Arts MA Master of Science MSc Master of Engineering MEng Master of Research – MRes, and Master of Laws LLM. LLM.

If you’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree and are looking to further your education then a Master’s level degree is the next step. Get a Master’s in order to increase your knowledge and job prospects and become an acknowledged expert on your field. It may even lead to further study like an PhD.

Typically, Master’s degrees last between 1 and two years to finish. The student must complete an in-depth study or a major projectthat is worth 180 credits. In order to be eligible to earn a Master’s diploma, typically, you need to have the undergraduate level in the relevant field.

Master of Business Administration (MBA) Level 7

An MBA is an internationally-recognised degree that develops skills for careers in business and management. It also allows you to help you get an executive career in other fields like in the government sector the government as well as private industry.

The degree of an MBA will allow professionals to get into new positions of great potential or increase their earnings or give them the information and abilities needed to begin your own business.

In order to enroll in an MBA program, you generally require at least an undergraduate diploma in an appropriate field. The typical MBA program takes about a full year, but two years if you decide to take a part-time course.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) 7th Level

A PGCE provides a higher level of academic education to make you ready for a profession in the field of teaching. It generally takes 1 year to complete full-time or 2 years for part-time.

It blends theory and learning as well as practical experience, which means you’ll spend a significant part of your time at the partner school of your choice using your teaching abilities to use.

To enroll in an PGCE course, you’ll need an undergraduate qualification in a relevant discipline as well as entry requirements that vary in accordance with the subject that you intend to teach.

Postgraduate top-up degree – Level 7

If you’ve got an PG certificate or an equivalent level seven certification (see the section below) you are eligible to apply for the postgraduate top-up degree option to expand your knowledge and complete a full Master’s.

The length of the top-up degree is shorter and usually completed in a year, but they can last up to two years, depending upon your beginning point and whether you’re studying full-time or part-time.

If you are a candidate with less of a qualification but have extensive experiences in a related field, you may be able to consider this when applying for a degree that is a step up.

Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) as well as Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) at the level 7

It’s less formal than a Master’s however, similar in terms of quality A PgDip or a PgCert is a great option if you would like to pursue your undergraduate education to the next level, but aren’t ready to be obligated to something as intense as a Master’s.

A large number of postgraduate degrees and certificates are professional, so if have a goal for your career you’re thinking about and require an education that will provide you with an edge you’re in the right place, these certificates are for you. Because these courses are less than Master’s degreesthey are easier to incorporate into your current work.

A PgDip can be worth 120 credits, while the less intensive version, a PgCert, has a value of 60 credits. Although they can be independently studied but a PgCert may result in a PgDip which could be the start of a Master’s degree. This means that you can pursue your studies at the degree you prefer with the option to take your studies to the next level.

There are awards for different degrees on our pages for postgraduate courses, which indicate that you are able to study the course at various levels, like Educational Leadership and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert.

The majority of people require an undergraduate degree to enroll in a PgDip course or a comparable degree. If you don’t hold an undergraduate degree, however you have work experience, you may possess the qualifications and experience required to study postgraduate studies. It is important to discuss your potential eligibility with the admissions staff to the particular course which you’re looking to take.