Skip to content

Using An Official Vet For Pet Travel Documents

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) which includes Scotland, England and Wales as well as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man has been part of the Part 2 designated third country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme since 1 January 2021, which is the date on which Great Britain left the European Union (EU).

This means that the current pet passports are not valid anymore. There are also new rules for traveling in Northern Ireland with your pet. Learn our tips and be well-prepared.

Going in an EU country, or Northern Ireland

Because of Great Britain becoming a Part 2 listed third-country, any pet passport issued within Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) is no longer valid. Instead, you will require the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) for travel in and within Europe, the EU as well as Northern Ireland. A AHC is also required to traveling from UK towards Northern Ireland. The AHC is valid only for a single journey. It is possible to add up to five animals to earn an AHC.

Your pet may also need:

A microchip
A valid rabies vaccination
Treatment for tapeworms

These rules also apply to dogs that assist.

Check the rules of the nation you’re traveling to for any additional restrictions or rules prior to your departure.
Can my existing UK Pet passport still be valid?

The pet passport that you have currently issued within Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) is not valid for travel to or within Europe, the EU and Northern Ireland after 31st December 2020.

If you are planning traveling with your animal post the 1st January 2021 date You will need to discuss with your vet the need for an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). It is required to apply for this at least 10 days prior to your travel date.

What should I do if I’m returning to or returning to the UK?

You may travel to and return back to Great Britain with your pet dog, cat or ferret, if:

Microchips have been placed on the device.
Does the pet have a passport (travel within in the UK for only) or health certification (AHC) is issued by the UK (valid for 4 months from the date of the issue)
Have been vaccinated against rabies and will require an examination for blood if it comes from a country not listed on the official website.
A EU passport (issued within the EU or the UK on or before January 1st, 2021)
A Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued in the UK (valid for four months following the date of the issue)
An UK Pet Health Certificate (for travel within the UK only)

The dogs must also be treated for tapeworms by an experienced vet. The treatment must be approved in the country it is administered and must be administered at least 24 hours and not more than five days prior to entering the UK.

There is no need treatment for your pet’s tapeworms when you’re traveling to Finland, Northern Ireland, Malta or Norway. Certain rules are applicable to shorter trips, and include treatments prior to your depart.

Your pet could be placed in quarantine for a period of up to 4 months if you fail to adhere to these guidelines.

There are additional rules to follow for animals that are to be rehomed or sold or rehomed in Great Britain. Check out the official website.
What should I do?

If you’re planning to traveling with your pet, you must be aware of the latest requirements and make a plan for the future. Be aware of the following guidelines:

The criteria are for Part 2 listed third country:

Your pet, cat or ferret should be microchipped.
Your pet must be more than 12 weeks old.
Your pet should be vaccinated against the rabies virus (your pet must have a minimum age of 12 weeks age in order to get an rabies vaccination).
An AHC can be obtained by your veterinarian three weeks following the initial vaccination against rabies.
An AHC is valid only for travel within Northern Ireland or the EU as well as Northern Ireland for 10 days from the date of issue.
An AHC is only issued by an “Official Vet” (OV). Every clinic has access to an OV. Please contact us to make arrangements as long as you can in advance to ensure that an official vet is on hand.
You’ll require a new AHC for each trip you travel on, unlike a pet passport , the AHC cannot be used for multiple purposes.
After you have arrived in within the EU as well as Northern Ireland, the AHC is valid for a period of 4 months (after when it was issued) the issue) which allows travel between EU member countries (not in the UK) within the same journey. Then, it is allowed to enter back to the UK.
Ferrets may be able to spread new forms of COVID-19. In the event that you transport a ferret into England from outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man It is advised to be sure to keep it from other ferrets as well as other animals living in your home for 21 days.

The above steps suggest that you need to begin planning at least 3 weeks before you leave for your trip. If possible, we suggest a longer time to ensure everything runs smoothly.

The certificate of your pet’s health is valid until the date it was issued for:

10 days to enter Northern Ireland or the EU as well as Northern Ireland
4 months to travel onwards within the EU
4 months to re-enter Great Britain

If you have any questions, please contact the local vet clinic, and they’ll be able to guide you on what steps you must take and make appointments so that your travel plans won’t be disrupted.

How else will I require to be aware of?

The AHC must be present for go to Northern Ireland. There was previously no requirement for a pet passport traveling into Northern Ireland – this changes beginning on the 1st of January 2021.
There’s no requirement to undergo a blood test following the vaccination against rabies. But, the fact that you must have an AHC for every trip implies it is essential to keep your rabies vaccinations current to date. If you lose your rabies vaccine it is necessary restart the process and wait 21 days to receive the AHC.
If you’re travelling in a group of more than 5 animals, different guidelines apply. It is recommended to talk to your vet.
Certain EU countries may require that your pet to have had the treatment of tapeworms. This includes Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland and Norway. Consult your veterinarian and make sure you check prior to travel.